Ableton Live 11 Beta & TouchAble as a Control Surface Selection is Missing

Hi guys,

I know it’s not supposed to be fully supported yet so maybe this post is just a heads-up or maybe there is a fix to it already…

For me at least, I can not select TouchAble as a control surface option in Live 11 Beta settings window (Screenshot attached).

The details are:
MacOS 10.14.6
Live Beta 11.0b22 currently
Server version is 1622
And I joined the Touchable pro beta hoping it might work.

As you can see from the other screenshots, everything is installed and I can see the script installed inside Ableton 11.app file. But as I said before, in Ableton 11 setting, it won’t let me select Touchable as a control surface.

This works with Ableton Live 10 with no issues but I kind of moved to fully work on Live 11 so I would love it if it could work with Live 11 Beta :slight_smile:

Screen Shot 2020-12-18 at 5.13.11 PM

Screen Shot 2020-12-18 at 5.16.23 PM

Hey,

we haven’t yet started testing Live 11. Could you maybe send us Live’s log file
pascal
@ zerdebug.com

/Users/[username]/Library/Preferences/Ableton/Live x.x.x/Log.txt

Best

Hi,

I just set it to your email at zerodebug, I assumed there was a typo in your msg.

I will also test Touchable and Ableton 11 Beta soon on my MacBook Pro to see if it is the same.

Best

I can confirm that everything was working fine on beta 11.0b21 but as of 11.0b22 the above issue happens on mac.

1 Like

Yes, I was pretty sure it worked for me on an earlier beta but the way Ableton auto updates the beta can possibly break other things. Still I understand, its a beta, and we are testing, so I hope this helps us get ready for official release :slight_smile:

BTW, its the same behavior on my laptop (Macbook Pro) and Live 11.0b22 - Can not select Touchable as a control surface from the list in Live’s settings.

Hi,

thanks for sending the logfile. As i understand it (see attached excerpt) correctly a folder/module Utils cannot be found. Could you please check, if it is present touchAble’s MIDI script folder? Maybe Live has changed the way modules are detected. The switched to python3 as i remember correctly.
I finally got back to Ableton to receive the latest alpha and beta version, so hopefully i can test them properly next week.

2020-12-18T18:58:20.462011: info: RemoteScriptError: File “”, line 1, in
2020-12-18T18:58:20.462068: info: RemoteScriptError: File “/Applications/Ableton Live 11 Beta.app/Contents/App-Resources/MIDI Remote Scripts/touchAble/init.py”, line 33, in
2020-12-18T18:58:20.462189: info: RemoteScriptError: from touchAble import touchAble
2020-12-18T18:58:20.462212: info: RemoteScriptError: File “/Applications/Ableton Live 11 Beta.app/Contents/App-Resources/MIDI Remote Scripts/touchAble/touchAble.py”, line 24, in
2020-12-18T18:58:20.462302: info: RemoteScriptError: import Utils.RemixNet as RemixNet
2020-12-18T18:58:20.462322: info: RemoteScriptError: ModuleNotFoundError
2020-12-18T18:58:20.462340: info: RemoteScriptError: No module named ‘Utils’

Hi,

It’s there, yes, I think… see attached screenshots.

There is also a Python2 folder which (I checked) does not exist in the Live 10 suite app file.

The same here, unfortunately. Installed it through the latest server, but Live 11 won’t recognise the script. Bummer.

Edit: The touchable folder is in the normal location in Live 11’s installation. No dice. Also, the latest Android Beta simply closes upon opening. Tried a restart of course, but it’s the app apparently.

Hi,

i checked the changes in the script, and since mid November there has been only one little change in the script. A hotfix to avoid large network packages, that exceed the maximum package size (see image attached). In case some vodoo issue sneaked in i created a new installer:

In case this is still not working, could you please try if Live11 detects the script from version 1600:

Hi,

I installed touchAblePro_1.625 but with same results, touchAble is not recognized in Ableton live 11 Beta …22

I then manually installed the script from 1600 but sorry to report, same results, it did not work.

1 Like

This what was replied in Ableton11 Beta Forum:

" Rivanni
5 Hours ago
With Live 11.0b22, Python 2 is updated to version 3. As a result, lots of custom and user remote scripts won’t work anymore and need to be updated for Live 11 by the original author."

1 Like

Hai.
Has anyone tried the 2to3 python auto conversion ? Could that work ( @Pascal / @Christian - and if not, could you guys give an ETA for an update to Live11 compatibility, assuming switching to Python3 is set in stone by Abletonians [I’m a tad susprised this is mentioned no where on thge beta boards, as this would affect all control scripts…] ) ?

I would love to use Touchable with the Live11 betas for sure.

Churs.
c.

I just tried 2to3 but didn’t get much joy… I haven’t used it before so I may have been doing something wrong.

Hi,

thanks for the feedback. So, i will wait until have access to the beta/alpha, to properly test and fix the issue.

Thanks for helping

Pascal

Hi,

i will test the auto conversion tool and let you know.

Pascal

Thanks muchly.

Aye, in the past, switching major Python versions for other DCCs I use, there never was a silver bullet unfortunately…
I did ask on the Beta forum for Abletonians to clearly state what Python version support we (as in users & devs) can expect… see (you will need to have approved beta access for the forums… but everyone can apply):
https://ableton.centercode.com/project/forum/thread.html?cap=e9f24affa2c34675919dc9ebf2c3611d&forid={2d5fa0c7-7122-4bff-8fec-87a8834badc2}&topid={49FF2B3D-7BCD-4B1E-B79B-56F91C5793D1}

Churs.
c.

1 Like

Could you try this version (Mac)? Please remove the the complete touchAble script folder before inserting the new one.

One issue releated to py3 seemed the folder structure, we broke with it, all files are in one plays as known from earlier versions…

Will do.
When you say:

I’m on Windows. Worth trying nontheless/still ?
Churs.
c.

ps. gave it a spin - and
*\Resources\MIDI Remote Scripts\touchAble
for some reason is not seen by Live; as in, there’s no
touchAble
in the ControlSurface options drop down box.
Inmterestingly, it does list:
touchAble
touchAble Script Input
as drop down options in the Input and Output drop down menus… (?!)
Strikes me as odd.

I’ll play around some more in the meantime and see if I can make it show up in live; but very open to spontaneous suggestions too ; )

c.

pps.
looks like it fails on compiling the pyc files.
i.e. it generates

*\touchAble\__pycache__\

init.cpython-37.pyc
touchAble.cpython-37.pyc

but nothing more - looking for Live’s log files now, to see if they hold info I’m not seeing in the UI…
c.