Bug Report: Stuttering Faders and Rotaries in Device and Mixer Views

Windows 10 Home 10.0.19042
iPad Pro 12.9in 2nd Gen MP6H2LL/A OS 14.4.2
Ableton 11.0.2
Control Surface Script v1671
Updated Touchable Pro App on April 22 2021

I’ve had this problem for a few weeks. Using any of the volume faders, panning controls, x/y controls mapped directly to a parameter, adjusting the resonance or filter frequency on analog etc. - causes stuttering rather than smooth changes in the audio. I’ve used both wifi and usb (with 1ms latency) and its the same.

If I map a fader or rotary to a CC# and then use midi learn in ableton that works fine.

Also values in ableton for a fader or for resonance on analog among other things for example often dont match what’s shown in ableton.

I’ve deleted and reinstalled the server and scripts several times, and made sure I disabled any options on the server (studio/log/arrangement all set to off).

Any help that you could provide would be greatly appreciated.

Hi,

this sounds like somekind of feedback issue, i will prepare a test server, that will log parameter changes from both sides and get back to you when ready (probably late evening).

Best

Thank you :blush:

Hi,

could you please activate touchAble’s log mode and send me the log after testing. The log can be found inside the servers install location 1676.log.

Best

Pascal

1676.log (811 Bytes)

Pascal,

I started Live 11 and loaded up an instance of analog - played a chord and adjusted the track volume and heard the stuttering effect - I could see it in the track volume icon also - like it was jittering.

I then used touchable to examine the analog device and adjusted the resonance - when I adjusted the resonance the touchable server crashed.

• Hope this helps -

1676.log (6.7 KB)

Pascal,

When I looked at the log I sent I saw that it didn’t have much info - I figured it was because I restarted the server with out closing out of Live. So I went through the process again this time starting the server, starting Live, the starting the app - this log is from doing that.

Something really bad happened though. My push 2 no longer can connect to ableton. When I look the preferences -> link tempo midi -> the input and output are greyed out under push 2. So now I cant use my push 2. ugh!

Edit: Got the Push 2 working again - whatever happened made it lose the usb connection. After a shutdown and restart it reconnected. When in doubt shutdown and restart I guess lol

Hi,

maybe the stuttering is even connected to the combination of touchAble and Push, we tested it but who knows.

Can you please send me a log once again, i extended the parameter logging, so we see incoming and outgoing parameter changes and their timestamps.

Could you please install the server, activate it’s log mode and change one parameter of an arbatrary device loaded in a normal track?

The log should than log similar to that one:

2021-04-26 18:25:58 [7920] INFO /change_device_parameter type 0 tid 0 device_number 0 parameter_number 94 value 45.422222
2021-04-26 18:25:58 [7920] INFO /change_device_parameter type 0 tid 0 device_number 0 parameter_number 94 value 46.488888
2021-04-26 18:25:58 [7920] INFO /change_device_parameter type 0 tid 0 device_number 0 parameter_number 94 value 47.111111
2021-04-26 18:25:58 [7920] INFO /change_device_parameter type 0 tid 0 device_number 0 parameter_number 94 value 47.377777
2021-04-26 18:25:58 [7920] INFO /change_device_parameter type 0 tid 0 device_number 0 parameter_number 94 value 47.555553
2021-04-26 18:25:58 [7920] INFO /change_device_parameter type 0 tid 0 device_number 0 parameter_number 94 value 47.644444
2021-04-26 18:25:58 [7920] INFO /change_device_parameter type 0 tid 0 device_number 0 parameter_number 94 value 47.733334
2021-04-26 18:25:58 [17404] INFO /track/device/parameter type 0 tid 0 device_number 0 parameter_number 94 value 47.000000

Pascal,

• Installed the server and script
  • Loaded up an instance of analog
  • Played some notes on the PUSH 2 and adjusted track volume on Touchable Pro
  • Noted the stuttering effect as if values of the volume were being skipped / not interpolated
  • went to the analog device view and adjusted some parameters in Touchable like frequency, volume, panning and resonance
  • Noted the values reported on touchable and ableton would drift apart especially the quicker the change in parameter value

1677.log (695.8 KB)

Hope this helps in the search for what might be happening :smiley:

Hi,

i prepared a new server, that allows to deactivate ipv4 or ipv6 connections. In case our router, desktop and iOS device supports ipv6 connections, we recommend to deactive ipv4 connections. Please restart the server after deactivating/activating ipv4/ipv6.

After installing the server, please install the latest script from the server’s context menu.

Could you than run the same test again?

Best

Pascal

Pascal,

• Installed the new server and deactivated ipv4
  • Installed the new script
  • Restarted the server and started Ableton Live with a fresh project
  • Noticed off the bat that the CPU meter on Live was using 2% AVG and to upto 12% Actual.
  • Loaded an instance of analog played a chord and adjusted the track volume using touchable and noted the same stuttering audio
  • Adjusted the frequency of the filter using touchable and noticed a similar stuttering effect.
  • Made sure that the touchable server was reporting using the correct v1.680 script.

So pretty much nothing has changed except the added cpu activity on the Ableton CPU meter.

Hope this helps :smiley:

1680.log (157.2 KB)

Hi,

sorry completely forgot to ask for a Live logfie. Can you please upload one? As you mentioned you also have a push installed. We haven’t heard of any problems with the push, but had problems with other scripts that interferre with ours.

I unfortunately still haven’t a poper answer two you problem, i fear it is the script, that block while receiving or sending messages. That would explain the stuttering and the hugh overall delay.

Could you give the latest server a quick test? It won’t solve your issues but tell me, which Libraries are installed properly.

On mac you will find the Live logfile here:
/Users//Library/Preferences/Ableton/Live /Log.txt
On win you will find it here:
C:Users\AppDate\Roaming\Ableton<current_version>\Preferences\Log.txt

Best

Pascal

Pascal,

I installed the latest server and script available from the website - v1.671.

I did recently purchase a midi fighter twister, but these issues were present before installing that. And I didn’t need to install a script to use it. I just use the normal midi learn functions and that works well, just like the cc mapping in the touchable app works fine.

Hope this helps :crossed_fingers: (fingers crossed for good luck) :smiley:

Log.txt (3.3 MB)

1671.log (115.3 KB)

EDIT:

I tried unplugging the Push 2 and deselecting the Push 2 scripts from Live and restarting.
The issue was still there. I dont know if that adds any value to figuring out the issue, but I thought I would give it a try.