Connection via USB hub

Hi,

Thank you for your nice application.
I am not able to connect my iPad with Touchable Pro to my computer with the following setup. Can this be resolved by an update? Or am I missing something?

• MacBook (2 USB input). MacOS 10.3.6 (high Sierra)
  • Ableton Live Standard 10.0.6
  • Focusrite Scarlett 18i8, connected to one of the USB input of the computer
  • USB 7-Port USB 3.0 Hub. 3 midi keyboard connected, 1 mouse, 2 USB to lightning cables for 1 or 2 iPads.
  • iPads with iOS 12.1.4
  • Touchable Pro (touchable428.pkg installed)

Touchable is not able to locate the computer when connected via the USB hub. The connection icon remains red and no text appears that could help with troubleshooting (eg wrong version written in red). I have tested the following and these alternatives work fine.

• iPad to computer via USB cable directly (no USB hub).
  • iPad to computer via network
  • iPad to computer via local network (no internet)

I don’t have internet connection at the studio and would prefer a wired connection to be able to charge the iPad. Direct USB connection to the computer is not really an option due to the number of USB devices connected.

Thanks in advance.

Hi,

sounds link the USB hub is not supported. Could you please check, if a standard Apple Application iTunes or Image Capture recognises the iPad when connected via the hub?

Best

Pascal

Yes, Apple iTunes opens automatically when an iPad is connected via the hub. I have reconnected all the cables, reinstalled touchable on the computer and iPad and rebooted. Everything works now via the hub.
Thanks for the support!

That sounds pretty weird to be honest. We are usually working with USB hubs between the iPad & the Host - mostly Anker Hubs in fact. But i can’t remember that we ran into any issues with USB hubs at all.

Is there any change if you change the USB port for the ipad while the computer is running?
What exact Macbook is it?

Cheers,
Chris

Hi Christian,

As I said in my last post, everything now works after reinstalling the touchable script and app on the iPad, and unplugging and re-plugging all lightning cables on the hub.

I noticed one thing that was different after reinstalling a couple of things on the computer. I got an Apple prompt asking me if I should trust this computer both on my iPad and in iTunes. After I clicked yes in both places, everything started working. It is weird as I never had this prompt for a while (several months), and Touchable was also already working via direct and wireless connection.

It looks like the problem was linked to Apple security settings rather than Touchable.

The computer is a MacBook 13" late 2010 upgraded with 16 go of ram and an SSD drive.

Thanks