External Controller CCs Not Received

Hi folks,

I’ve been trying to get my Korg NanoKontrol 2 to control the device view in Touchable Pro. I’m able to get it set up using the learn function to assign CCs to device controls but the devices do not respond to input. Mapping global play and stop seems to work, it’s just the device parameters I do not respond. I feel I may be missing something obvious but any help with this would be much appreciated.

Thanks in advance,

Joe

EDIT: I have tried another midi controller and have the same issue with that.

1 Like

are you running touchable on ios?

i am running touchable on windows and it is not recognizing any midi learn input at all. maybe it is one of the many “features” that are still not working? is there anyone who got it working? maybe the developers can comment on this?

i also don’t understand the other option mentioned in the manual: “You can also connect [the MIDI controller] to your desktop system. Make sure to route the MIDI to your touch-device, for example with a MIDI Track in Ableton.”
how do you route midi to the touch device? do you need to use rtp midi to make the touch device respond to a controller that is attached to the desktop computer?

Thanks for your reply. Yes, I am on iOS. I’ve tried this in touchable 3 too and it doesn’t work either. Some input from a dev would be good as I think this functionality in combination with my Maschine jam would negate me purchasing push 2, saving me a substantial amount of money. This is a pretty heavily advertised and crucial feature so I can’t imagine it doesn’t work at all, I think I’m just missing something.

I’m not too familiar with windows tablets but on the iPad you can send midi out via Bluetooth or lightning cable. This is what I intend to do so I can then use touchable via lightning cable instead of WiFi and have encoders/buttons on my controller not in use in touch able available in Ableton.

I feel like I’m so close to nailing my workflow so if I can get this working I can stop thinking about controllers and make some music.

Hey,

sorry for the late reply. In its current version touchAble receives MIDI only from a controller connected to the iPad directly. touchAble is also limited to some predefined UI operations controllable via MIDI (open browser, change view,…), listed in the settings menu.

We haven’t yet implemented MIDI Desktop -> App, but since we received many request for that feature we will integrate it within one of the next updates.

Best

Pascal

Hi Pascal

Are you still working on MIDI Desktop -> App? Can you give us an idea when it will be implemented? I’ve got the same issue as Joemarshall, using Studiomux – I used to be able to (kinda) get it to work with Touchable 3, thought it might work better with Touchable Pro, but now I can’t use Touchable Pro at all for what I need it to do. I’m a bit disappointed, since I specifically checked the manual where it said this was possible before I purchased Touchable Pro – it still isn’t working, and it’s been a while now. Can you give us an update?

Thanks a lot and keep up the good work!
Tim

Hi Pascal,

This still isn’t working for me, even with my controller connect directly to iPad. I can assign buttons to bank device parameters for example, but both device bank up and device bank down only bank up. The main thing I want though is to be able to control device parameters from my controller as satiated in the manual. I am able to assign these in the MIDI settings but then they do nothing. As Tim said, this is covered in the manual and there is even a video on YouTube from you that shows it working in an older version. Are there plans to fix/implement this?

Touchable on the whole is great but there are a few things holding it back. It would also be great if we could drag samples directly into Simpler from the browser.

Thanks,

Joe

Hi,

sorry for the long wait. Unfortunately we still cannot receive midi from within our control surface and send it to the App. But from Version 1.613 you will be able to use the midi controls again. Our server now publishes a touchable midi out port. Any midi sent to this port will be delegated to the touchable app, to control the midi mappings.

We are already working on a more elaborated MIDI processing and handling, to enable feedback touchAble’s Editor.

Best

Pascal