Faulty installation [Win10, Live Suite 11.0.5, Server 1727]

On Windows 10 with Ableton Live Suite 11.0.5 installed under a custom folder on a secondary SSD - and with User Library in a custom folder - the installScript does not succeed. It creates a “Remote Scripts” folder under the C:\Users[User]\Documents\Ableton\User Library.

However - due to large libraries, my actual user library is also at a custom location (as set in Live). Apparently - for remote scripts, ableton now only parses this folder, since the control surface does not show up in Live - nor the input script under inputs nor the entries in the midi list.

When I copy the folder to the actual User Library, the control surface becomes visible, but no “touchAble script” input is available for selecting, and no entries in the midi list appear.

The server shows the client (on an iPad Pro 2020) as connected - and the ipad receives and displays the state from ableton, but cannot send inputs - and is not updated correctly (when I start live, the client on the iPad shows a successful connection to the server, then when I switch the project in Live and press play via mouse, the connection is shown as lost).

The log has no interesting stuff - just a bunch of “[19956] ERROR process_id2 id 0000000000000000 3” lines and these success messages before that:

[19956] INFO LoadUsbLibraries
[19956] INFO Could load ASL.dll Product Version: 1.0.0.1 target:  1.0.0.1
[19956] INFO Could load CoreFoundation.dll Product Version: 1.238.185.0 target:  1.238.185.0
[19956] INFO Could load CoreFoundation.dll Product Version: 1.238.185.0 target:  1.238.185.0

When I try to run the install.bat manually, it says it has no permissions to access the dlls - and it deletes itself and a bunch of other stuff… for whatever reason.

… it also doesn’t help that there is no uninstaller / clean uninstall - and since no uninstaller is registered, windows throws an error when trying to uninstall via Apps & Features.

Suffice it to say - the problem persists after Live-restart, reboot, re-install of server, re-download of server (which I have to start three times before it can finish - what’s up with that?) and re-install etc.

Firewall exceptions are set for the touchableServer exe

Some help would be appreciated.

EDIT: After some more trying - it works to some extent even without the midi devices and touchableScript as input - but only until I open the Prophet12Editor by codeknobs to control my Prophet-12 module - whereupon touchable immediately loses connection.

The log at this point is appended with:

[23988] DEBUG wait for received failed to select with to socket 32432 wit error (null)

[23988] DEBUG wait for received failed to select with to socket 32432 wit error (null)

[23988] DEBUG recv returned: -1 reason: 10054 |||| PerformDisconnect();

[23988] DEBUG failed to connect to port 9008 wit error Bad file descriptor

[23988] DEBUG failed to connect to port close socket 9008 wit error Bad file descriptor

[23988] DEBUG Successfully connected to script TCP port on port 9008

[23988] DEBUG Script Message /script/load/start with error 0

[23988] DEBUG Script Message /script/load/start with error 0

[23988] DEBUG packet_length (19076) + initial_length (16372) + cur_offset (0) >= buffer_size (16384) 

[23988] DEBUG Peer disconnected reason: 0

[23988] DEBUG Successfully connected to script TCP port on port 9008

[23988] DEBUG wait for received failed to select with to socket 32464 wit error (null)

[23988] DEBUG wait for received failed to select with to socket 32464 wit error (null)

(The ableton preferences log appers to have nothing interesting in it - but here it is)

Log.zip (704.5 KB)

Hi,

sorry for the inconvenice. I tested with Prophet12Editor plugin and could indeed find an issue. It should be fixed now.

Best

Pascal

Hi Pascal,

thank you for your response and your effort. Unfortunately, none of the behavior changes:

• The installer does not detect that a custom folder is set for the User Library and copies the “Remote Scripts” folder to the wrong location. Thus, nothing whatsoever shows up in Live until I copy the folder to the custom User Library location.

• Once I’ve done that, in Live’s Preferences->Midi section, touchable still shows up only as a control surface, but there is no “touchableScript” under “inputs” - and no “touchable” device is listed in the Midi-Ports section, which I think goes back to the install-script not working correctly. I’d love to get you the output of that script - ca you tell me which parameters I need to call it with (apparently, it takes a path? - since when I call it without parameters it sets a path variable to empty and deletes what it can from that empty path, so the current working directory)

This means that maximally, transport works - but no MIDI (and the xy-pad for parameter control was a primary reason for my [repeat] purchase).

• The moment I open the prophet 12 editor, the client shows “Control Surface not responding” and nothing works.

Here is the logfile: 1742.log (5.4 KB)
And the ableton preferences log from the last application startup: ableton.log (34.5 KB)

Hi,

Unfortunately we cannot detect wether the user uses a custom location or the default one easily. It’s a bit experimental, but we now search abletons’s indexer filer for the proper user library path, choosing the most current entry.

Theses should have been fixed within the latest installer. Virtual midi is now installed properly again.

Could you please send me the logs again after installing the latest scripts?

Latest server:

Best

Pascal

Hi Pascal,

sorry for responding only now - I had been on holiday in the meantime. The installation works and I can use touchable to control ableton as intended… as long as I don’t load the Prophet 12 editor - which makes touchable lose connection.

I’ve attached an ableton log here:

log_copy.txt (45.6 KB)

Hi,

sorry for the inconvenience. We are aware of the issues, when running the Prophet 12 editor parallel to touchable, but haven’t yet found a solution. I’ll be back to office this saturday and will try to find the source of the problem. In case i won’t find anything, i will contact the Prophet editor developer.

Unfortunately the log you sent do not contain any information about touchAble. touchAble has not been selected as Control Surface.

MidiRemoteScript 1 [Control Surface=“None” Input=“None” Output=“None”]
MidiRemoteScript 2 [Control Surface=“None” Input=“None” Output=“None”]
MidiRemoteScript 3 [Control Surface=“None” Input=“None” Output=“None”]
MidiRemoteScript 4 [Control Surface=“None” Input=“None” Output=“None”]
MidiRemoteScript 5 [Control Surface=“None” Input=“None” Output=“None”]
MidiRemoteScript 6 [Control Surface=“None” Input=“touchAble Script Input” Output=“touchAble Script Output”]
MidiRemoteScript 7 [Control Surface=“None” Input=“None” Output=“None”]

Best

Pascal