More CPU woes thanks to SMUX

Just wanna chime in with some important information here. I’m sure Zerodebug aren’t listening but it might be of use to their customers; us, the people who gave them money for a broken product.

I followed IvanX’s instructions and successfully got Studiomux up and running again on Catalina 10.15.4 then 5 some time ago. All seemed fine.

However, I’ve had some chronic issues with CPU throttling when using Ableton Live 10.1.15/Logic Pro X (not thermal throttling…just throttling) that were being triggered by something ‘unknown’.

But I can safely say now that I’m certain it was Studiomux server running in the background that was causing the throttling. The server has given me massive problems in the past where I would find it in Activity Monitor showing 100s of percent of CPU use…It wasn’t even connected to an iOS device.

I don’t know how others use Studiomux but I often ran it in Live 10 via the Studiomux generator/effects plugins to access iOS synths/fx. I can say that it works somewhat comfortably if I don’t engage it through a standard DAW – I’ve had some success getting it to work through Loopback 2 without it putting too much pressure on the operating system. But used in a DAW, it literally attempts to kills my CPU.

IDAM does the same thing to Live 10…totally unusable in a DAW.

Also the Audio MIDI Setup doesn’t show the correct sample rate, doesn’t work correctly when manually set and cannot be drift corrected without create an audio mess! Pretty useless!!!

Maybe it’s just my computer? I’m on a MacBook Pro Retina 15" mid-2015 which is my main computer I’ve used live when gigging. I’m going to retest everything on my old mid-2011 iMac 27" and see if it also breaks when using SMUX. Who knows how it will turn out?

It’s all quite disappointing. Zerodebug have made no moves that fix this and other problems. Nor have they given us paying customers any reliable timeline on their plans to start making it a stable platform.

And while I’m at it, it’s worth mentioning that the Touchable Pro server also uses too much CPU when idle. I need to shut it down and restart it often to get it to wind down to a gentle presence.