Win 10: Script does not show up in Ableton, USB Connection impossible

Just installed Version 1.671; Installed iTunes from Your site. Installed the Script. Connection report from Ipad says: Status ok for v.1671 SRV, v.1671 CS, v.10.1.35 Live.
right click on touchable server in system tray tells me that USB driver is missing, and I should get iTunes from Zerodebug - which I of course did already, to no avail…
However, It says that control surface is responding “Yes v. 1671”, and that there is one device available Local/Wifi (it is on wifi…), and reports 1 active Connection.
But in Live, the script is not selectable as Input.
So: no midi at all…
How can I fix that?
Best wishes, Matthias

Hi,

have you tried to restart your computer after deinstalling the former installed iTunes version?

We determine the location of the required Apple Libraries (Apple Mobile Device Support/Apple Application Support) by searching windwos registry, which is corrupt sometimes. Please also try to install our “Full server”, which installs all required Libraries automatically.

https://zerodebug.com/server/touchAblePro_1.671_Full.exe

Could you also upload a touchAble log. It can be found inside the server’s install path. e.g “Program Files/Zerodebug/touchAble/1671.log”.

Regarding the Midi issue: Could you please try to install virtual midi manually.

http://www.tobias-erichsen.de/wp-content/uploads/2020/01/rtpMIDISetup_1_1_14_247.zip

Best

Pascal

1. Yes. I have restarted the computer after the deinstallation of Itunes.
  2. Yes, I have already tried the full version of the installer.
  3. Strange phenomenon: up to 3 instances of touchAble server seem to be active at the same time!
    Screenshot (2)|690x388
  4. Strange phenomenon 2: now it is reported, that Control surface v. 1562 responds. Control Surface v 1671, which responded before, seems, right now, to have vanished. Before that the two versions seemed to alternate for a while when I quit and restarted touchAble server, but I can´t replicate that right now.
    Screenshot (2)|690x388
  5. strange phenomenon 3: not always, but quite often, the wifi monitor of touchAble on my Ipad reports two data streams connecting to my computer.
  6. The log:
    1671.log (3.7 KB)
  7. I have uninstalled and reinstalled the program several times. It never deinstalls completely, reporting tha i could deinstall the rest by hand. Unfortunately I don´t know exactly, what the rest is. I have deleted the zerodebug folder in “programs” and the “touchAble” folder C/ProgramData/Ableton/Live 10 Suite/Resources/MIDI Remote Scripts
  8. Before there is some hint of a direction for a solution, I would rather not install rtp midi. It was the main reason for which I had skipped using touchAble for quite a while. At least back then it caused severe problems on my machine. This was quite a time ago, and i don´t remember exactly what the main problems were, but among else the connection via rtpMidi was unstable, to say the least. The program itself is clearly abandonware. As far as I have understood, using the present script should make rtp midi superfluous? I would greatly prefer that…
  9. General question: is this a transitonal phase in the functioning of touchAble or is the connection to Windows Computers always that difficult?

Best wishes,

Matthias

Thanks for info:

On install more than one instance is active, because the app itsself restarts with admin priveliges to be able to install the scripts.

That is indeed super weired and may already explain the issues. It’s seems like two instances ar running somewhere in the background. Could you upload a live log? It will clearly log, which script has been loaded, it should be located here:

C:\Users<you>\AppData\Roaming\Ableton\Live \Preferences\Log.txt

Unfortunately you still need to create a touchAble MIDI port to receive MIDI from the App and delegate it to Live. Within the install of touchAble we install virtual midi (teVM64.msi can also be found in the servers install folder /dist/midi), which should handle this.

The connection between mobile devices and windows is indeed a bit more trickey, than between mobile devices and Mac OS for several reasons:

• no native support of USB connections
  • no native support of MIDI ports
  • a wider use of 3rd party anti virus and firewall tools

Best

Pascal

Pascal,

I also had the issue where the touchable server icon would randomly report that it was using the v. 1562 script. It slipped my mind when I reported the stuttering parameter audio bug. I would install the most recent script when I saw that.

@qkhat: thanks for reporting. Did some version (“most recent script”) solve Your problems?

@PascaI:
I can add my Ableton log: Log.txt (1.6 MB) But frankly: I don´t know which script ran, when it was recorded. It changes constantly…right now when right clicking on touchAble Server, it says says: v.1671 responts.
And I have installed teVM64.msi. Windows Control Panel says, teVirtualMidi is installed, but in Ableton it remains invisible. There was no feedback whatsoever after installation that installation is completed.

So, right now, Midi Data from touchAble can´t be transferred neither via usb, nor via wifi. Connecting and disconnecting a midi controller keyboard is not a problem, and never was…

I am not running 3rd Party firewalls or antivirus programs.

So what solutions can be offered?

@captainzero I haven’t noticed the issue, but I have only been using touchable to help with the debugging - so a few minutes at a time at most.

Hey,

we finales a server for those you encounter crashes or problems with the USB connection or non functional MIDI:

The correct installation of the third party libraries is still mandotory for touchAble to work properly. We hoped to make this a litle easiear (with the new server) for you:

• In case the wrong librarie versions or none are installed the server will not crash any more, but create a detailed log, which libraries are missing respectively not installed properly.
  • each library will log its version number next to the version number that shoud have been be installed

In case a library is missing a pop up will ask you have a look at the log file and send it to us.

Best

1. Here my current logfile:
    1682.log (2.4 KB)
  2. rightclicking on touchAble Server results in reporting that Script v. 1682 is installed, but v. 1671 (which was uninstalled before) responds. report on the connection in touchAble itself is compatible with this (v. 1.682 SRV, v.1672 CS)
  3. Number of wifi connections reported in touch Able is now one, as (I presume) it should be, given there is only one wifi in the house…
  4. The advice to install virtual midi via teVM64.msi file is wrong. No functioning virtual midi input is created this way. I succeeded making midi run via wifi by installing loopMIDI, then creating midiports in loopMIDI and using them as midi input for the touchable control surface. Of all the midi inputs that show up in Ableton after that (three…), only the one named “touchAble” (without any addition) is really working and necessary. Until now, this seems to be rather stable.
  5. The way it should work according to the touchAble manual is still not working.

Update: what I described in my last message worked only for a very short time. Now I get no connection, neither via usb nor via wifi.
There was also no answer from the support for the last 21 days. TouchAble does not seem to work at all on numerous machines. Never. I have found dozens of similar reports . I´ve tried to supply every information but got no efficient help. Some information was even misleading. What about a refund?

Best wishes,
Matthias Baumgart

Hey,

sorry for the late reply and the inconvenience. Unfortunately touchAble currently requires both: The proper iTunes Version and the proper VirtualMIDI version. We are licences of Tobias errichson, and therefore need the exact virtual midi version, to work properly with our server and our virtual midi license.

Could you please install the latest server and send us a logfile, via the server’s context menu? It will log the installed iTunes and virtual midi versions.

Unfortunately we cannot refund you directly, you would have to contact Apple.

Best

Pascal