macOS Catalina compatibility

Soooo, Zerodebug does zero answers these days but I’ll post anyway…

Studiomux is not compatible with macOS Catalina – any plans to bring it up to speed? As it stands, Studiomux seems like it has been abandoned by Zerodebug.

BTW, I’d be happy to fix/rewrite your horrific manual for a competitive fee!

Hey,

sorry for the inconvenience and the late reply, we just finalised the new touchable server update… and started working on an app and server update for midimux and studiomux now!!!

Best

Pascal

2 Likes

OMG, a reply! I’m so happy – Thanks! I await a groovy new improved Studiomux!!!

Thank you Zerobug to come back and fix/improve and make available Studiomux for macOS Catalina!

Can’t wait the update!

It’s not out yet, correct?

Zerodebug/Pascal, If the app/server update ever happens (and I hope and pray that it does) please consider these features. Other than Catalina compatibility and CPU thieving issues…

• Allow saveable states for built-in AB instances (Also the IAA Instrument instances of AB make SMUX crash — again and again and again.)
  • Get rid of the stupid ‘AB must be open first message’ (It’s false and bloody annoying.)
  • Allow deleting presets in the LOAD menu.
  • Get Ableton LINK working properly.
  • Fix the tempo indicator and transport.
  • Fix the ‘Auto Load’ rocket in the menu. It really messes things up when you want apps to load in the background.
  • Clearly display sub items in the IAA instruments menus.
  • Enable MIDI PC sending through SMUX generator VST/AU channels (i.e. on the same channel strip in Live 10)…this problem means you you can’t easily use an SMUX VST as part of an instrument rack.
  • Enable use on iPhone 6 (iOS 12.4.4) - ***actually, it seems this only breaks on Animoog for iPhone.
  • Enable audio devices to remember the sample rate in macOS AUDIO/MIDI settings.
  • Fix the VST so iOS devices can be selected – especially when there is more than one iOS device the the GUI screws up and won’t let you select a device.
  • Studiomux MIDI IN/OUT ports disappear in LIVE 10 when another IAA synth is opened in SMUX. makes it impossible to send MIDI clock to apps…

***There is a thing where Live 10 crashes whenever the SMUX audio device (only as part of an aggregate audio device) disconnects – this makes the 18/2 device unusable as USB connections often toggle state. Not SMUX’s fault but thought you should know.

I’ll add more things as I think of them…

Just made the mistake of not checking studiomux server for compatibility here. Now out of luck :smiley:

Looking forward to this update. Thanks!

Hi,

now that we are in the final phase testing the touchAble update, we found the time to start with studiomux… We hope to release a first beta in a couple of weeks…

best

1 Like

I got StudioMux 3.10b, the latest version available for download, running on Catalina.

The issue is that its driver, called AudioMuxDriver.kext, wants to be installed into /System/Library/Extensions, and Apple no longer allows that in Catalina. However, it works fine if it is instead placed into /Library/Extensions, and an additional file is created to automatically launch it on startup.

(However, Apple is starting to deprecate third-party kernel extensions, so StudioMux is likely to not work in some post-Catalina version of macOS. Hopefully there will be an update before then.)

To install StudioMux on Catalina:

• Run the StudioMux installer, and choose Customize. Check all the items except “driver”.

• Install, and click “Keep” when it’s done.

• Get Pacifist. Run it, and click Open Package. Choose the StudioMux installer package (studiomux_310b.pkg) in your Downloads folder.

• Ensure the “Contents” tab is selected. Click the triangle to the left of “Contents of driver.pkg”.

• Control-click on the now-visible “AudioMuxDriver.kext” folder. Choose Extract to Custom Location…

• While looking at the “Please choose a folder to which to extract:” file navigator, press Shift-Command-G. In the “Go to the folder:” field, type: /Library/Extensions and click Go. Click “Choose”.

• Ensure that “Use Administrator Privileges” is checked, then click Extract. You’ll be asked to type your administrator password twice. Quit Pacifist when it’s done.

• Go to https://pastebin.com/WLHam2jB and click Download. (If TextEdit or another app opens it after download, quit that.) Close browser window/tab.

• In the Finder, locate “com.zerodebug.audiomuxdriver.plist” in your Downloads folder. If it ends in “.txt” after “.plist”, delete that from the end of the file name, so it ends in “.plist” (when asked to confirm, click “Use .plist”).

• Open another Finder window. Choose Computer from the Go menu at the top of the screen. Within Macintosh HD (or whatever your startup drive is called), navigate to /Library/LaunchDaemons.

• Move the “com.zerodebug.audiomuxdriver.plist” file from Downloads folder to the LaunchDaemons folder, and enter your password when prompted.

• Restart your Mac.

• If you get a notice that a system extension has been blocked, click Open Security. If not, Choose System Preferences… from the Apple menu, then click on “Security & Privacy”.

• Ensure the General tab is selected. If there is an “Allow” button visible in the lower right, then click the padlock in the lower left, enter your password, and click “Allow.”

• Restart your Mac.

StudioMux should now be up and running on Catalina.

1 Like

Thank you - joined just to say that to you

can not understand why this app is not a simple priority to fix as it continues though to be for sale…

You’re welcome!

Simply do what he said and il works !

Thanx

Sorry : simply do what YOU said and il works. Thank you so much !

Hi - can you give us an update on this timeline prediction please? regards

Sure thing!

Hello

Is there is any progress with midimux server for Catalina? We need midi from our iPads for our performances.

Just so we’re clear, I have midimux installed on my iPad. I can’t connect iPad to Catalina Macbook due Midimux server is 32 bit, am I correct?

Midimux/Studiomux server is 64-bit. The problem is that its driver is being installed in a way that’s no longer allowed in Catalina for security reasons. See my post above for a workaround to get it working in Catalina.

It’s really too bad because this application in particular has a lot of future potential for growth and wider adoption and most importantly - it always has. This apps concept alone improved and stable actually could easily sell for $30 instead of $10 - it could continue to offer “the” method of turning our iPads into 2-way audio devices (2-way midi and 1-way audio works natively so this is really the key feature) thereby further “repurposing” them into 2-way audio/midi “rack modules” that guitar players alone would continue to support and spread support of a streamlined stable improved version of this unique app that allows streaming audio " to - > an iPad " for processing - allowing us to interface with our computers and our iDevice simultaneously through a single soundcard.

The current workaround above provided by IvanX achieves some real success in some areas but audio streaming still has room to improve and appears within reach. I hope it is and that others feel this as well.

I’m glad to see that touchable has turned into a good platform helping to utilize older/spare iPads and I ask that you please consider how important this app also can continue be and to keep it going and all informed as to it’s progress now and then if possible. I don’t want to come off as entitled or bitter, on the contrary

Thanks to all for the hard work seriously on all the apps labored over - cheers

1 Like

well 10.15.6 the last iteration of Catalina so I am guessing no update until next year if at all - thanks …

Just tested again after a long absence because I missed using ios apps as a studiomux effect. Couldn’t get that to work but took it slow…

Saw that my ipad once again had 18 outputs / inputs to osx in audiomidi setup as an aggregated device so began to have some hope.

Got studiomux to receive midi and had one IAA instrument (animoog) working perfectly with ableton live – was sending midi from my keyboard through ableton, to studiomux to animoog (only reason why I’m spelling it out is that animoog could see multiple midi sources – my network, studiomux, my keyboard, etc, so needed to make sure that all were flowing / handing off).

Got audio back via studiomux into ableton live in the same channel - strangely at first I had to create a second audio channel with an external in from the 1-2 iPad output, but at some point I realized it had doubled up and audio was coming back on the animoog/studiomux midi channel much like a normal virtual instrument… great!

I tried creating a second IAA instrument to have another midi channel send to but then lost the audio of the first one. At one point futzing around gave me the original animoog audio back into ableton but not the second instrument (let’s say Audiokit D1) - though D1’s audio COULD be heard from the ipad speakers – so at that time I had one instrument sending audio back into ableton but not the other. Weird.

Played around but every so often the aggregate device would crash and the ipad would be disabled in audiomidi.

It’d be fantastic to have the virtual audio inputs/outputs via lightning but it feels like something is being forced to comply to IDAM’s stereo track only; can anyone else confirm?