studiomux 5 beta

Hey everyone, new to the forum and a little late to the party in that I just found out about Studiomux. I’m looking into getting studiomux set up on my iphone (12 pro, latest ios) and my Windows 10 pc using the latest beta client.

From what I understand, this latest version of iTunes did not include the previously included drivers for windows and that the app has since had trouble operating as intended on Windows, and so I’ve yet to dive in to downloading the client or the ios app without getting a little more info.

@Pascal I saw your most recent update on having to modify the Windows client to fix the consistent crashing error, and that it unfortunately increases memory usage and latency (if I’m interpreting that correctly). Since my intended use of the software/app would be in a live performance context, I was curious if the latency/memory issue is something that will ever be fixed in future updates, or if this is now a permanent issue for Windows that can not be solved due to Apple’s increasingly pc-restrictive updates. I love the concept and would love to support you guys by purchasing the app and trying out each new beta as it’s released, I just wanted to find out if this is an issue that CAN eventually be fixed and if so, is it on your priority list? If so, I’ll jump in head first and can provide user feedback on each new windows beta if that’s something you guys would find useful.

1 Like

Live here is not that active but stable ) I hope sync problems could also be solved.

Heh, hope there will be an update )

@Pascal is there an update coming to address Ableton link ? It worked in late betas but got broken around the time of the official release

1 Like

Just tried the new beta and server and link is not synching and start/stop not working. Changing tempo on Mac or iPad changes tempo on the other. Both devices indicate that link is connected but they aren’t synching.

Is it working for others?

Hi,

last weeks we adressed the audio latency and midi sync issues:

Since version 5.127 the studiomux server comes with all iTunes core libraries, it should now work with any iTunes version.

Sorry for the long wait, we overworked the internal clock. MIDI clock transmission though has still some issues, when switching apps. We will address this issue within the next update.

We unfortuately had to rewrite our audio receiver on windows, to get rid of the crash bugs. The latest server + plugins, should fix the latency issues but it is still not working as expected, the latency is still around 5ms higher compared to our old plugins…

Best

Pascal

1 Like

Hi Pascal,

Link is not working for me in this version iOS 14.8 and MacOS with Ableton Live.

Did you try with v. 5.140, we have just released a new beta. I just gave it a try with Live 11.

Best

Yes. It was with the new server using the Dropbox link provided in the TestFlight description. I was using Live 10, but never have seen a sync difference between 10 and 11.

Hi,

Link actually should work without the studiomux server running. I will try with Live 10 tomorrow.

Best

Live and AUM are linking fine, fwiw. I just tried AUM and StudioMux on the same machine and Studiomux isn’t synching with AUM. So, perhaps the problem is the Studiomux app and not the server.

The symptoms are the same. Link indicates that the apps are connected. Changing the tempo on one changes the tempo on the other but start/stop on one has no impact on the other.

The other thing is that when Studiomux connects to link, the Studiomux tempo does not change to the established link tempo (nor send a message to change link’s tempo).

[I confirmed that Audiobus 3 and AUM start/stop/sync with each other but neither starts with StudioMux nor does StudioMux start them. If you manually start studiomux while the others are running pressing Stop in studiomux starts them.]

ADDITIONAL INFO: If you start studiomux and have also started a linked app manually stopping the StudioMux transport will stop the other. Also, even though both apps show the same tempo (and will adjust the tempo of you change either app), the two apps aren’t really synced. I ran quarter notes in all apps and they only played in sync if you press the start buttons in time. Even though stopping Studiomux will stop the other linked hosts. Stopping the other hosts doesn’t stop StudioMux’s transport.

Things to check: when StudioMux connects to other linked apps, the displayed tempo should immediately change to that in use by the already linked apps. With all transports stopped, starting any should start all. And stopping any should stop all.

Hi,

though bpm syncing works fine with Link for me, i could reproduce the start stop issue.

Just having a quick look at the latest changes, i couln’t find anything related to the transport or Link, that may cause the issue.

I will test with former versions of studiomux and Live.

best

Pascal

The new beta is sometimes responding to start stop but I am finding it a little hit and miss to get working and I am finding the sync not tight…but i need to test more to make sure it isn’t partly something in the setup. At this stage this is just with other apps on the iPad (AUM and Audiobus 3). i am observing also that when SMux joins the “link” it doesn’t set its tempo to the one shared by the other linked apps nor does it set the link tempo.

I will test some more and report, but it could be a day or two.

UPDATE:
Many of the problems that I was having with the new beta were the result of Ableton Link being enabled in StudioMux but Studiomux becoming set to internal link. Perhaps, I didn’t notice that turning on Ableton Link did not set StudioMux’s sync to Ableton AND restoring last session did not restore the Sync Method setting.

Also, loading a session doesn’t seem to restore the Sync Method.

If one makes sure those are all set, the clocks are in sync tempo-wise but Studiomux can be a few beats out of phase.

ORIGINAL POST:

I just did some more testing with Audiobus and AUM and SMux all loaded and linked.

One note, after rebooting, StudioMux did start switching to the link tempo when joining a link session which wasn’t happening earlier.

AUM and Audiobus are consistent in how they sync and lock together and start/stop. SMux is sometimes starting as expected but is sometimes out of phase with the other two. I have an Audiobus 3 project you can use for testing. To make things easy to hear, I created two one measure beathwawk sequences that is just quarter notes. one with 4 different drum hits and one with 4 ascending notes.

Often SMux will stop when the others are stopped but sometimes, it misses the stop.

@pascal if you have those apps, I am attaching my test. I’ll try to post a video later showing what I am seeing.

EDIT: removed audiobus preset. I’ll post a better one tomorrow.

I noticed something that sometimes might cause issues. If you enable Ableton Link in Studiomux, it doesn’t automatically set Studiomux’s Sync setting to Link. This state seems to have been what resulted (with this beta) in some of the problems with the transport not stopping. If I make sure that Link is set in both places then the clocks are synched – and the only remaining problem is that StudioMux can start out of phase with AUM and Audiobus – which seem to always be in phase. I.e. StudioMux sometimes starts as soon as the transport starts OR after 3 beats. Audiobus and AUM seem to always wait 4 beats to start.

Unrelated issue found testing the above: While doing the testing this evening, I realized that StudioMux is not restoring Beathawk’s state when reloading a saved session.

This new version seems stable to me on windows. Effect plugin still not loading on studio one 5. In cubase it loads fine but i can only send audio to ipad or receive audio from ipad. Send and receive not working simultaneously.

@pascal: here is a video demonstrating Ableton link issues with the StudioMux iOS app with other apps running on the iPad (the same issues are also true linked to Mac – so it seems to be related to the iPad app itself not the server). This is the latest TestFlight beta. My iPad is running iOS 14.8.1

To summarize the problems, I have run into:

• StudioMux almost always starts earlier than AUM and Audiobus (which always start together). It seems like StudioMux doesn’t wait for a link quantum before starting playback
  • in the video studiomux is about one sixteenth note (1/4 beat) out of sync with AUM and Audiobus
  • if link is turned off and back on in StudioMux, it does not set its tempo to the established link tempo

Other bugs that I have run into that are pretty much show stoppers for me using the StudioMux app as a host:

• when I save a session that has multiple Audio Units loaded each in its own channel, only the first channel strip is loaded when I reload the session
  • Audio Unit states are not being restored when the session is loaded. AUs are loaded in their default state – not the state they were in when saved. Checked with multiple Audio Units which all restore their states fine in both AUM and Audiobus 3 (BeatHawk, AddStation, AudioLayer)

Some little bugs that I ran into:

• when saving a session that was loaded, a blank name is in the field – this makes it hard to make changes to a session and re-save
  • in the session name text field, typing on a bluetooth keyboard doesn’t wok
  • the delete key in StudioMux’s custom text keyboard is in a strange place relative to the OS keyboard where the delete key is normally on the upper right next to ‘p’

The new beta that just dropped a few hours ago seems to solve the state save/restore issues for AUv3’s – but hasn’t improved the link performance. It starts early compared to AUM and is a half beat out of sync. It also doesn’t adopt the link session’s tempo when it connects to a session. Also, stopping the Studiomux transport doesn’t stop AUM

There are now problems running StudioMux at the same time as Audiobus. In the new beta, the StudioMux app stops having audible audio if Audiobus is launched and the transport controls stop working-- even if Studiomux is not being routed to Audiobus.

Hi,

thx for the detailed feedback. I will test and fix the remaining transport issues asap. I was mainly testing Link in combination with Live and that worked fine for me. I will now test with audiobus and AUM on iOS only.

Best

Pascal

@pascal: i just tested with Live 10 and StudioMux (running under iOS 4.8) and the behavior from Live to StudioMux is identical to what I reported for StudioMux and AUM on the same machine.

Here is a video demonstrating what I am seeing. This the same as what I see with StudioMux and AUM (or any other Link apps). So, I am guessing if you get it working with AUM and Audiobus on the same machine that it will work fine with Live.

Here is the video. Live+AUM first then Live+StudioMux 5.147.

Here are the issues you will see in the video:

• Live and AUM start at the same time and stop at the same time. They stay in tight sync. It doesn’t matter which app’s transport is used.

• StudioMux and Live.
    ** StudioMux starts early by a few beats
    ** StudioMux and Live are out of sync by about one-half beat
    ** Pressing Stop in StudioMux does not stop Live

NOT SHOWN but problematic:
** Changing the tempo in StudioMux does not send a message to Live about the tempo update
** Sometimes StudioMux does not adopt the established Link tempo when it joins a session

Occasionally, it works but only rarely for me.

Note that I deleted StudioMux rebooted and installed 5.147 and rebooted again to make sure this was a clean install.

1 Like