studiomux 5 beta

What buffer sizes are you using? My roundtrip latency with Ableton 10 or 11 is 24-ish ms. With 128 and 256 buffers.

I have both the Audiomux app and Logic set to 128 and the sample rates matched at 48khz.

Do you have another host like Ableton or Reaper to try to see if it is particular to Logic for you?

No. But you already have those results in Abelton. Does the 24 ms affect your music? 24 ms is right near the Haas effect limit. I would think anything over a few samples would make things awkward. You would think there would be some type of latency detection like there is with external hardware I/O. For now I can just print the track and adjust the file but that limits the usage. I did have my buddy check for the latency on his computer and heā€™s getting the same thing (also in Logic).

24ms is the same delay as standing 24 ft from an amp. If you arenā€™t mixing undelayed and delayed signal, it isnā€™t an issue. It is also easy to compensate for by shifting the track.

100 ms sounds problematic. On another forum, someone suggested that Logic is sensitive to how the bussing is set up. You might ask on the Audiobus forum to see how Logic users have set things up to minimize latency.

I have not found the 24 ms round-trip latency a problem for my use. I donā€™t mix the local dry with the returned signal. For timing critical parts, I shift the track by the delayed amount.

@Pascal hey! Hope you are doing well! Can you gives us any info about beta? Are you planning updates?

Hi,

sorry for the long wait, weā€™ve been on vacation the last weeks.

Thanks for all the feedback and input Unfortunately we can neither process all mentioned issues in parralel. I will try to reply to each post and problem within this week.

We currently ty to set up a new (maybe public) bug tracker, so you can at least follow the progress of our work.

Best

Pascal

3 Likes

Hi!

I am using Studiomux to connect my Roli Seabord Rise to my Windows 11 laptop. The Seaboard has a broken USB port so I can only connect it via Bluetooth to my iPad and then use Studiomux to forward the MIDI to Windows and Ableton.

I just wanted to confirm that everything works for me (except for MPE, which is not yet supported if I am correct) on iOS 14 / Studiomux app 5.128 (TestFlight) / Server 5.126 on Windows 11 with CopyTrans drivers.

Thanks for all your hard work! I would love to help test MPE if you need a tester. At the moment, from what I see in Roliā€™s software, bend and slide are applied to all notes (instead of each single one) and pressure is not correctly received.

Let me know how I can help, thanks! I am a programmer (backend engineer) so I might be able to help with some code too.

Hi,

wowā€¦ we actually thought about asking for help, but never did. And to be honest we are currently overwhelmed by the amount of work.

We currently build our plugins up on Steinbergā€™s VST3 SDK + Jamba :pray: (https://jamba.dev/). Mainly to avoid of any third party dependencies. The consequence of this is that we can neither transmit midi ccs [1] via plug-in nor support vst2 plug-ins [2].

It has been a often requested feature. I roughly implemented it, did some tests with Live -> ios but never got deeply into it.

Currently our MPE ā€œimplementationā€ consists of letting through these MIDI messages.

case 0xd0: //11
type = MIDI_MPE_CHANNEL_PRESSURE;

case 0xa0: // Aftertouch
type = MIDI_MPE_AFTERTOUCH;

case 0xb0: //11
type = MIDI_MPE_CONTROLLER;

We are very happy for any kind of help. I must confess i havenā€™t read the extensive documentation [3] yet (having in mind OSC is such a nice and clean protocol ā€¦).

[1]

[2]

[3]

I also tried to collect all mentioned bugs. If you like send me a pm with your mail and i will add you as a participant. I probably forgot to add some bugs.

Best

Pascal

1 Like

Hi again,

while testing the plugins on windows with various hosts, we found the root of most issues concerning dropouts/glitches and crashes on win.

We had to remove an essential part of the of the plugin, handling the parallel process of receiving audio buffer from the iOS device/server while providing already received audio data to the DAW.

The fix unfortunately comes with the downside of cosuming more memory and beeing way slower, than our former method.

Best

Pascal

1 Like

@Pascal thanks for info. Does this update have fixes for sync problems?

Is studiomuxeffect plugin working for anybody? GUI for effect plugin isnā€™t loading for me in Studio One 5.

1 Like

Hey everyone, new to the forum and a little late to the party in that I just found out about Studiomux. Iā€™m looking into getting studiomux set up on my iphone (12 pro, latest ios) and my Windows 10 pc using the latest beta client.

From what I understand, this latest version of iTunes did not include the previously included drivers for windows and that the app has since had trouble operating as intended on Windows, and so Iā€™ve yet to dive in to downloading the client or the ios app without getting a little more info.

@Pascal I saw your most recent update on having to modify the Windows client to fix the consistent crashing error, and that it unfortunately increases memory usage and latency (if Iā€™m interpreting that correctly). Since my intended use of the software/app would be in a live performance context, I was curious if the latency/memory issue is something that will ever be fixed in future updates, or if this is now a permanent issue for Windows that can not be solved due to Appleā€™s increasingly pc-restrictive updates. I love the concept and would love to support you guys by purchasing the app and trying out each new beta as itā€™s released, I just wanted to find out if this is an issue that CAN eventually be fixed and if so, is it on your priority list? If so, Iā€™ll jump in head first and can provide user feedback on each new windows beta if thatā€™s something you guys would find useful.

1 Like

Live here is not that active but stable ) I hope sync problems could also be solved.

Heh, hope there will be an update )

@Pascal is there an update coming to address Ableton link ? It worked in late betas but got broken around the time of the official release

1 Like

Just tried the new beta and server and link is not synching and start/stop not working. Changing tempo on Mac or iPad changes tempo on the other. Both devices indicate that link is connected but they arenā€™t synching.

Is it working for others?

Hi,

last weeks we adressed the audio latency and midi sync issues:

Since version 5.127 the studiomux server comes with all iTunes core libraries, it should now work with any iTunes version.

Sorry for the long wait, we overworked the internal clock. MIDI clock transmission though has still some issues, when switching apps. We will address this issue within the next update.

We unfortuately had to rewrite our audio receiver on windows, to get rid of the crash bugs. The latest server + plugins, should fix the latency issues but it is still not working as expected, the latency is still around 5ms higher compared to our old pluginsā€¦

Best

Pascal

1 Like

Hi Pascal,

Link is not working for me in this version iOS 14.8 and MacOS with Ableton Live.

Did you try with v. 5.140, we have just released a new beta. I just gave it a try with Live 11.

Best