studiomux 5 beta

Mac OSX Big Sur 11.2.3, Ableton Live Suite 11.0 running on a 2019 Macbook Pro with iPhone 11 Pro Max running iOS 14.4

Installed the latest server, iOS app from Testflight, AU plugins and tried feeding audio from Studiomux to Live without success.

I put Audiomux generator on a midi channel, launched Audiomux server, selected iPhone as the device - it would not let me select any channels - fed that midi channel output to an audio channel in Live, input monitor and record enabled both, then each individually, then went into Audio Midi Setup and enabled iPhone audio input through there. I also enabled midi input from iPhone and Audiomux in Ableton Midi settings. Also enabled Audiomux in midi in/out ports of apps I have used to test (Animoog).

None of the above has worked in getting the audio signal from Audiomux to Live. I can see midi signal coming in but thatā€™s about it.

Iā€™d appreciate any advice on making this work and hope you guys continue working on it until itā€™s operational and ready for release :slight_smile:

Some people have reported success on mac. You need to launch the server before Ableton, if you launch it after Ableton it wonā€™t workā€¦

1 Like

Thank you for your advice. Unfortunately that did not work, I tried all sorts of configurations when launching Audiomux / Live - iOS app first, then server, then Ableton / server-app-Ableton / Ableton-app-server etc.

Now I canā€™t even see midi come into Live from Audiomux anymore and also had the iOS app crash on me randomly. Tried bunch of other apps too, like Elastic Drums and the Bismarck synth as midi/audio sources.

The Beta is seemingly a long way away from Prime Timeā€¦no real progress in Win 10 either as far as i can see, some communication from the developers would be most helpful, there has been no news from them in this thread for a while nowā€¦

Any news on the progress please?

I hope they get it working one day. Back to good old fashioned audio cables for now :smiley:

Iā€™m not a Mac user, but apparently IDAM works. Have you tried it? Lots of discussions about it here :-

Awesome - I will look into it. I do have Audiobus. Cheers!

You donā€™t actually need the audiobus app. Itā€™s a propriety protocol baked into Mac os & developed by Apple. I think you make some sort of aggregate device which will then see your iPadā€™s audio outputs. I think itā€™s only one stereo out , + midiā€¦

1 Like

Iā€™ve used IDAM, and it DOES work but itā€™s merely one app at a time and only audio ipad->mac. Not as cool as the way StudioMux worked. I wonder if setting up IDAM has really interferred wtih StudioMux, but thatā€™s OSX only so, probably not.

1 Like

Itā€™s ios 14 thatā€™s screwed Studiomux up. Still working fine on os before that. I have an iPad 4 & iPhone 5ic, both on 10.3.3 & it still works as good as everā€¦Devices on os13 & below are still good to goā€¦

1 Like

Ah yeah, apologies I misread your reply - I did actually manage to get IDAM to work routing iPhoneā€™s audio into Live last night. But as grimmwerks says itā€™s a bit limited and for whatever reason the aggregate device only allows for either iPhone or iPad to play, not both. Iā€™ll keep investigating this option.

Hey if you DO get multiple devices to work please let me know - I was trying the Aggregate devices as well - each of my kids have an ipad so I was trying to get 3 ipads running Borderlands Granular into live in one go; noooope.

1 Like

Will do sir!

Finally up and running on MacOS Mojave 10.14.6. Logic Pro 10.5.

I tried opening a blank session and using the AU Instrument Plugin v. 5028. Worked correctly. The server keeps telling me to install plugins v.5030.

On the iPad with latest iPad OS I was able to open the Moog Model D plugin and record and send midi to Studiomux app without any issues.

A couple of things I canā€™t work out or would like to see happenā€¦

1. Having the instrument plugin window open inside Studiomux is a great idea however the window is so small it is almost unusable. Also the redraw is broken so when you close the plugin window there is a black rectangle covering the faders that will not go away unless you restart the app. I would like the option of the old version where I could go to the instrument or effect plugin in full screen mode.

2. I sent all the possible timecode to the Studiomux app in an attempt to get miRack to follow tempo from Logic. miRack will follow the tempo from the Studiomux iOS app perfectly I could not find a way to make the entire Studiomux app follow the Logic tempo and clock. Iā€™m sure I am missing something and would appreciate any help in that regard.

I have not tested audio sending to Studiomux app yet but will attempt that today at some point. Unfortunately my iPad has removed my Flux:FX app from Adrian Belew and for some reason the app is no longer on the App Store. That app was my main reason for getting Studiomux and I paid for it so Iā€™m pretty bummed about that. If anyone has any info on where to get it again please let me know.

Hope this helps.

-A

Hi,

sorry for the long abscence. We found a major issue in the server/vst, that has been fixed and may have caused vst/au crashes and was also probably the main reason for the distorted audio: in case your mac/pc is able to create ipv6 connections, the vst/au may have established two connections to the server, resulting in receiving the audio stream twice. i had disabled all ipv6 connections on my office mac, to test another application, so i havenā€™t noticed it for a long time.

the current servers will establish a proper connection between plugin and server:

I will inlcude an option for to display AU guis infullscreen mode.

To receive the clock from another host, please tap on the tempo/position display, this will open a pop up. now select Midi as Sync method. From Logic/Ableton send the clock to the midi port ā€˜studiomuxā€™, that will be created within the start of the studiomux server.

Hi there ! Thank you so much Pascal !!!
Under bitwig I have to launch several times the studiomuxinstrument as it crashes the first or or two times I launch it. Will try this new version.
I also have trouble rescaling the app on the iPad (especially with the swam instruments, where you have to resize the window to get the full menu). How do you do this ?

Hi Pascal, is there a new Test Flight app to go with this new server? I have just tested this with the existing Test Flight app, and am sorry to report, that there is no change in Win 10 , Ableton 11, ios 14.4.
Audio is still distorted in Ableton
App still reporting two buffer sizes & two sample rates at launch
Server is still reporting two active USB ports.

Thanks for all your hard workā€¦cheersā€¦

Hi,

i will upload a new App version later this night. The servers below will fix the duplicat USB connection issue on windows. In fact the connection was probably falsly detected as USB connection while beeing a WiFi connection. I assume your PC has an active Wifi interface, as well as your iOS device? Hope this will fix your issues. The new server and VSTs for mac also includes a fix that forces the plugin to accept one ipv4 connection only.

Best

1 Like

Thanks will give this a go & report backā€¦

No WiFi on my PC, just an Ethernet connection from my router .
WiFi from router to iPad