studiomux 5 beta

1 more thing - Im on Iphone 7 14.7.1 iOS

If the Studiomux plugin in Logic is an instrument, then itā€™s important to select any Audio Input in the Side Chain. When I first tried the Studiomux Instrument, I had enormous latency. Then I remembered, that I have to send audio to the plugin, even if I donā€™t need it. This is not specific to Studiomux, there are other plugins that do not work at all, if no audio is received.
Now I use one effect plugin for sending and receiving and one instrument plugin for receiving another channel, no problems with latency.
So, Side Chain might be one reason, just an idea. Here a screenshot how it looks like in Logic.

AU-Instrument

2 Likes

MIDI pitch bend messages seem to not be passed through the Audio Unit version of the plugin to the iOS device.

I think this is probably a bug.

Can anybody else confirm this behavior? Thanks

EDIT: Looking back through the thread I see this is nothing new.

Yeah, waiting for new version! I wish sync to be fixed, so I could send some clock into iOS from Bitwig (and modulations).

Is Ableton Link not working in Bitwig?

I could not make it work. May be I did something wrong, but how to use it with Studiomux? Is there any algorithm of how to turn it on? I turned on Link in Bitwig, picked where to route signal, in Studiomux Iā€™ve used Link option an turned Ableton sync but nothing happened. How to use Link in Bitwig and configure it as Master?

Link doesnā€™t have a ā€œMasterā€ in the traditional way. All Start/Stop/sync enabled apps can be either Master or Slave. Do you have Start/Stop enabled in Bitwig, & is wifi enabled on your iDevice & connected to your local network? Also, sometimes you have to have midi sync turned off for Link to work properly, although in some cases you may need it on if you are also syncing hardware boxes at the same timeā€¦

Not sure if i explained this very well, so please feel free to ask more if it wasnā€™t clearā€¦

I do need Midi sync along with Ableton Link, because I use BSP as midi hub for hardware gear. So how to make hole setup use the same bpm than if thereā€™s no master?

Try it, it may work with both midi clock & Ableton Link enabled in Bitwig. As regards the Slave/Master thing I suppose, if you only use Bitwig transport controls, I guess it becomes the de-facto ā€œMasterā€

Perhaps someone on the Bitwig forum can help you out with more detailed knowledge about midi clock & Ableton Link implementation in Bitwig. I have never used Bitwig, so not of much use in that dept Iā€™m afraidā€¦

However, you need to get link working between Bitwig & Studiomux first, before adding midi clock into the mixā€¦

Will test it out! Thanks! Anyways, If anyone will have a workaround on how to make Bitwig and Studiomux sync on bpm / transport messages - please, let me know!

How do I get studiomux version 4 back on my ipad?

So Iā€™ve tested Ableton Link, and could not make it work. Bitwig does not see any Ableton apps, still phone was in the same WiFi net and connected by USB cable (and could send sounds on midi events coming from Bitwig). So partly functional, only midi notes and their parameters go to phone - no midi clock / ableton link.

Sent information via TestFlight, several days ago - crickets

Not hearing back after a few days (or even many) doesnā€™t mean that Pascal hasnā€™t read the reports. I donā€™t generally expect developers to respond to quickly to reports. Many of the bugs that I have reported have been quietly fixed ā€“ i.e. Pascal read the report and addressed it without communicating.

1 Like

Agree @easelec, I respect Pascal and feel he is keeping an eye on things. What you share is great news though - I will keep using and reporting things as they come up.

1 Like

Hi all, is the OSC connection working?
When i create an OSC connection, it allways says OSC_PORT_STATUS_DISCONNECTED. Tried to configure ports and see if there is connection anyways but there is not.
MIDI and audio are working, i can send MIDI from Live to Ipad and return audio from Ipad to Live, but the only thing i really use from Studiomux is OSC. With version 4 it was working fine.

@pascal: after not using Studiomux for a bit (the latest beta), I have gone back to it and run into some issues:

On my iPad 6 with iOS 14.7.1,

the ā€œPresent AU in Full Screenā€ option doesnā€™t seem to do anything.

I can accidentally manually grow a window too big and then where the AU should appear, there is nothing but an orange background. This has happened several times but is not reproducible.

Link with Start/Stop is not working for me any more it worked a version or two ago. I am using an iPad connected to a Mac running Live 10. This used to work reliably. In Live, it indicates that it is connected to Studiomux. If I change the tempo on the mac or on the ipad, the other device shows the new tempo. But starting the transport on the Mac doesnā€™t start StudioMux (and yes I have Start/Stop enable and the Sync method set to link).

This used to work fine.

The ā€˜present AU view in Fullscreenā€™ menu command text covers up the On/Off setting. I suggest renaming the command to something like ā€œAU Fullscreenā€

1 Like

@pascal: are you having any trouble reproducing the sync issues that have been reported?

1 Like

I have the exact same issue.
Tested on iOS 9.3.5 on two old iPads (2&3) and my iPhone 13 Pro with iOS 15.
I can sometimes send OSC from Lemur to Max but it seems a bit shaky and works 50% of the time.
Sending OSC messages from Max to 127.0.0.1 8000 (Lemur port) gives no results.
I can see two active connections (both iPads) and 1 Active OSC port (one of two connections).
Bypassing Studiomux and using wifi works fine with all devices.
Bidirectional MIDI works fine.

@Pascal, thanks for a crazy good app. Hope you get around to fixing the OSC, because your app is (as far as I know) the only way we can get OSC over cable to the computer. Your doing important work :smile:

Hello! I recently started using Studiomux and seem to be having latency issues. Iā€™m working in Logic (Big Sur M1) and while using the Stidiomux effect plugin connected to an iPad, everything seems to suffer from latency. At least 100ms worth. Wondering if Iā€™m missing something like a round trip latency detection or something. If anyone has any information to help with this Iā€™d greatly appreciate it. Thanks.